Estrace is an oestrogen-based vaginal cream available only by prescription used to treat the symptoms of vaginal atrophy due to menopause or a lack of oestrogen (for example after breast cancer treatments). This includes symptoms of moderate to severe dryness, itching and burning in and around the vagina, known as atrophic vaginitis.
This form of oestrogen can be dangerous, so we advise using an oestriol (E3) form of oestrogen, which doesn’t impact blood oestrogens, but works the same way. Estrace should be used with the lowest possible dose to get the results you require, and only use this product for as long as needed. Only use it in and around the vagina.
Estrace can be expensive, costing $286 per 42.5 grams of cream. It is typically unavailable via insurance.
- Estrace is a plant-derived phyto-oestrogen product
- Oestradiol (E2) USP 0.01%
- Purified water
- Propylene glycol
- Stearyl alcohol
- White ceresin wax
- Mono- and diglycerides
- Hypromellose 2208 (4000 cps)
- Sodium lauryl sulfate
- Edetate disodium
- Tertiary butylhydroquinone
E2 (oestradiol) is a form of oestrogen that affects your blood levels of oestrogen, and can contribute to oestrogen-dependent cancers. Once you hit menopause, the lack of ovulation means there is no progesterone to push back against the oestrogen, which means oestrogen is allowed to roam free in your blood without impedance. This can be very dangerous, so consider using an oestriol (E3) product, since the E3 form of oestrogen does not affect blood levels and is not believed to contribute to cancers, but has the same impact on vaginal tissues.
Side-effects of Estrace
- Breast tenderness
- Irregular vaginal bleeding or spotting
- Stomach or abdominal cramps
- Hair loss
- Vaginal burning, irritation and itching
Who should not use Estrace
- Anyone with unusual vaginal bleeding, those with certain cancers, or anyone who has had a stroke or heart attack, blood clots or liver issues should not use Estrace.
- Do not use if you are pregnant
- Check for known allergens
Aunt Vadge’s Balancing Act – Mostly Organic Hormone Balancing Tea (for drinking)$15.95
Aunt Vadge’s Bug Balancing Brew – Organic Microbe Balancing Tea (for drinking!)$15.95
Aunt Vadge’s Day Off – Relaxing Organic Tea (for drinking!)$15.95
Aunt Vadge’s Tummy Tonic – Organic Anti-bloat Tea (for drinking!)$15.95