Balance Activ vaginal suppositories are marketed as a treatment to BV. It contains lactic acid and glycogen as its active ingredients, to restore an acidic pH while also providing a food source for friendly bacteria.
Safety profile of Balance Activ vaginal suppositories or gel
Balance Activ does not contain any known allergen, is preservative-free, hormone-free, and the lactic acid is not derived from cow’s milk. Balance Activ can be used safely long-term. You can use it with condoms made from polyisoprene, but it will degrade polyurethane or natural rubber latex condoms.
You do not need a prescription and can buy Balance Activ online or at a pharmacy.
Notes from My Vagina regarding Balance Activ as a treatment for BV
Balance Activ does not address the bacterial biofilm present in recurrent BV, so may not prove effective as a true treatment for BV, but can be useful as symptom management.
Pregnancy, conception and breastfeeding safety of Balance Activ
Balance Activ is safe for use during pregnancy, but it shouldn’t be used if you are actively trying to conceive, as it creates an acidic environment, even during ovulation, where the cervical fluids change the pH temporarily to allow the survival of sperm.
Dosage and cost per dose
- Balance Activ retails at between $10 for a seven-day course
- One 5ml tube or pessary to be used per day
- About US$1.40 per dose
Ingredients of Balance Activ
- Lactic acid
- Propylene glycol
- Methylhydroxypropyl cellulose
- Sodium lactate
Manufacturers instructions for use for treating or preventing bacterial vaginosis (BV)
- Use one tube or pessary per day, ideally at bedtime, for seven days.
- For prevention or maintenance, use 1-2 tubes or pessaries per week.
- If using antibiotics, use 1 tube or pessary per day during the course for 4-5 days.
- Around your period, if you notice BV symptoms, use 1 tube or pessary per day at the end of your period for 1-2 days.
Instructions for using Balance Activ suppositories
- Wash hands and remove a single pessary from its foil wrapping.
- Sit or lie down with knees bent and legs apart. Gently insert the pessary into the vagina as far as is comfortably possible using your fingers.
- Wash hands again. Do not divide pessaries.
Instructions for using Balance Activ Gel
- Twist off the tube cap.
- Insert the neck of the tube into the vagina and squeeze out the contents. Best used at bedtime to minimise leakage. Remove tube and dispose of.
- Always use a full tube, as directed or required.