Jarrow (sold globally as Astarte) has developed a probiotic formula (for oral use, enteric-coated) for women to promote vaginal health. The products contain Lactobacillus crispatus, a desirable – but not readily available – probiotic bacteria. The product comes in cold-pack postage, which keeps the bacteria alive during transit.
- Lactobacillus crispatus LbV 88
- Lactobacillus jensenii LbV 116
- Lactobacillus gasseri LbV 150N
- Lactobacillus rhamnosus LbV 96
These bacteria have been found in healthy vaginas as the predominant species.
Instructions and dose of Jarro-Dophilus
Suggested use is one capsule per day by mouth, or two capsules as needed or directed by your healthcare professional. The instructions recommend taking Jarro-dophilus one or two hours after antibiotics, and advise against using the enteric-coating veggie capsules for vaginal use.
Store in a cool dry place. Does not require refrigeration if ambient temperatures are below 77F/25C. (If it’s summer where you are or you live in a hot country, keep in fridge.)
Choosing the right Jarro-Dophilus product:
There are four different boxes to choose from on the Jarrow website, with a three-pack of boxes available (other retailers may differ):
- Jarro-Dophilus Women 5 billion CFU, 30 caps, (cool ship, pack of three) – US$83.85
- Jarro-Dophilus Women 5 billion CFU, 60 caps, (cool ship, pack of three) – US$143.85
- Jarro-Dophilus Women 10 billion CFU, 30 caps, (cool ship, pack of three) – US$89.85
- Jarro-Dophilus Women 10 billion CFU, 60 caps (cool ship, pack of three) – US$149.85
Cost of each dose
When it comes to probiotics, you need to take the CFU count into consideration. In this case, using the above numbers, you can expect to pay:
- 5bn CFU, 30 caps (3 boxes, so 90 caps total) – $0.93 per capsule
- 5bn CFU, 60 caps (3 boxes, so 180 caps total) – $0.80 per capsule
- 10bn CFU, 30 caps (3 boxes, so 90 caps total) – $1.00 per capsule
- 10bn CFU, 60 caps (3 boxes, so 180 caps total) – $0.83 per capsule – clearest value for money
About the enteric coating
The enteric coated vegetable capsules are resistant to stomach acid, allowing the bacteria to arrive in the non-acidic intestine unharmed, with almost 100 per cent of the probiotics passing into the intestines.
How to use Jarro-Dophilus vaginally – All Things Vagina recommendations
We advise you to buy some veggie caps yourself, and remove the contents from the enteric-coated veggie cap and put it into the non-enteric-coated veggie cap, and insert deep vaginally as required or instructed by your health professional.
Ingredients of Jarro-Dophilus
- Tapioca starch
- Magnesium stearate (vegetable source)
- Silicon dioxide
- Vegetarian capsule consists of hydroxypropylmethylcellulose
- pH-sensitive enteric coating consists of modified cellulose, magnesium silicate and triethyl citrate
- No wheat, gluten, soy, dairy, egg, fish/shellfish, peanuts/tree nuts