This study looked at coriander and thyme essential oils for the gynaecological treatment of microbial and fungal infections.
Essential oils studied
- Coriandrum sativum L. essential oil
- Thymus vulgaris L. essential oil
Bacteria and fungi studied
- Escherichia coli (25922)
- Proteus mirabilis
- Enterococcus sp.
- Staphylococcus aureus ATCC 25923, ATCC 6538
- Two clinical Candida albicans strains, including ATTC 10231
- Bactericidal activity was higher for coriander EO against almost all tested bacteria, except multiple resistant strains of Enterococcus sp. and Proteus sp.
- Thyme EO showed slightly better fungicidal activity for all C. albicans strains.
- The effect of EOs on biofilm-forming ability was tested for two strains of Staph. aureus and E. coli, as well as on C. albicans filamentation ability.
In-vitro, coriander essential oil can be used against E.coli, Staph. aureus and C. albicans vaginal infections as an alternative gynaecological treatment.
Alternative treatment of vaginal infections – in vitro antimicrobial and toxic effects of Coriandrum sativum L. and Thymus vulgaris L. essential oils, Bogavac M, Karaman M, Janjušević Lj, Sudji J, Radovanović B, Novaković Z, Simeunović J, Božin B., Journal of Applied Microbiology, 2015 Sep;119(3):697-710
Aunt Vadge’s Balancing Act – Mostly Organic Hormone Balancing Tea (for drinking)$15.95
Aunt Vadge’s Bug Balancing Brew – Organic Microbe Balancing Tea (for drinking!)$15.95
Aunt Vadge’s Day Off – Relaxing Organic Tea (for drinking!)$15.95
Aunt Vadge’s Tummy Tonic – Organic Anti-bloat Tea (for drinking!)$15.95
Killing BV ebook$7.99
Killing BV: Guide for Men ebook$7.99